Hurricane Sandy eyewitness


By: Linda Liang

Recently, one of the most striking news was the attack of the hurricane Sandy across the east coast. A disaster developing from
a tropical wave in the western Caribbean Sea on October 22 upgraded to the largest Atlantic hurricane. It has devastated portions of the Caribbean, Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern United States and has caused damages of nearly $70 billion. At least 24 American states have been affected. On the east coasts, tunnels and subways have been flooded, power has been cut, houses have been devastated, and businesses and schools have been forced to shut down throughout the hurricane.

Since the storm, many efforts have been made by troops, volunteers, contractors and governments to rebuild, assist, restore and take care of homeless people. Schools and business are slowly running again. People’s lives are gradually recovering and we will all continually pray for them.

Amy Santelman is a 2012 MVL graduate. She’s studying at Johnson & Wales University in North Miami, Florida. She has experienced Hurricane Sandy herself and has answered a few questions “The Charger” has asked.

1. Where were you when the hurricane happened?

I was in my dorm room when the hurricane hit. I didn't actually leave my building for 2 days other than to get food and Starbucks.

2. What did you see at that moment?

        It was mostly rain, lots and lots and lots of rain. Also high speed winds. I know you can't see wind, but we could sure feel it.

3. How did you feel with the hurricane?

I was a little scared. Not many things scare me, but I had never experienced a hurricane before so it was a bit scary and a rather exciting!

4. What did you learn from this experience?

I learned just how blessed I am and that prayer and trust in God makes situations like this so much easier.

5. Is anything that you can’t forget about the hurricane and what touches you the most?

I had so many people call me and texting me and praying for me and that meant so much. I got to witness the love my family and friends have for me and that was very touching.

6. What damages have the hurricane cost to your city and how are the recoveries going on?

Some street signs and smaller trees were knocked down; there were a few power outages, and a little flooding. We were very blessed to not be hit very hard. Most of the recovery, for my school especially, was trying to get people back to school. Many students who had gone home for the weekend got trapped in their hometowns, especially students from New Jersey. Public transportation was shut down all around Providence, so those who had left had no way of getting back to school.